Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

WI300 Arabs

Where the designs of new factions (official and homebrewed) and the forthcoming supplements are discussed

WI300 Arabs

Postby Black Sven » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 pm

So what's the general opinion of the WI 300 Arab battle board and faction?

We have some people who likely will use these for games so thought I'd ask.
Real men don't use shield transfers, they paint each shield by hand - not matter how bad it turns out...

Check out my painting blog at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com
Black Sven

Re: WI300 Arabs

Postby Lord Robert » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:12 am

Initial Arab/Muslim expansion though interesting is quite a obscure war gaming period for a lot of us folk.I for one could not field any troop types for.If you put this faction out you should also be creating factions,eg Sassanid Persians, 6/7 century Bysantines that they are going to be in conflict with In this period.Why cant people developing new factions /battleboards, at least stick in Europe,where they can at least face off against factions we already own.Then again perhaps developers.may want to stay clear of areas that Studio Tomahawk may be developing new factions for??.
Lord Robert

Postby Socalwarhammer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:35 am

In 711 AD the Islamic Ummayad Caliphate's conquered nearly all of the Christian Visigothic Kingdom of Hispania. I am glad that this list is coming out. Now I can wait for Visigoths and other Spanish armies. I think in time there will so many lists (official and unofficial) that everyone will be happy. :D

But I still want my Byzantines.
Socalwarhammer

Postby skald » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

I think the Arabs are really useful. The Normans had a lot of fun with them in Sicily and El Cid is waiting his turn. There was an interesting clash between 'Arab' armies and 'French' as early as the 600's in Southern France. I am hoping that a Frankish faction will soon be available?
skald

Postby Lord Robert » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 pm

From what I have deduced these Arabs are many centuries away from The "El Cid" and Sicilian Norman period.In my opinion it would have been more useful for Muslim opponents to have a more 10th centuary flavour.
Lord Robert

Postby peter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:01 am

After only a quick look... it appears that warriors can be bow-armed, but I couldn't see a down-side to that. Presumably they would get the same minuses that crossbow-armed troops get?

The scenario was interesting: in particular I liked that the two sides got points for different geographical objectives; and the asymmetrical nature of the battle.

Peter
peter

Postby alanrey25j » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Is the Battleboard included in WI 300?
alanrey25j

Postby hithero » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:40 pm

alanrey25j wrote:Is the Battleboard included in WI 300?

Not as a board as such, but printed on a page. And yes, it does look like the penalty for bow armed warriors has been left off.
Dave
hithero

Postby steve29651 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Given that the Franks are coming soon, would they not be ideal to fight early Arabs, didnt they have a little scrap around Tours/Poitiers in 732AD.

Steve M
steve29651

Postby nick_simmerson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Lord Robert wrote:Initial Arab/Muslim expansion though interesting is quite a obscure war gaming period for a lot of us folk.I for one could not field any troop types for.If you put this faction out you should also be creating factions,eg Sassanid Persians, 6/7 century Bysantines that they are going to be in conflict with In this period.Why cant people developing new factions /battleboards, at least stick in Europe,where they can at least face off against factions we already own.Then again perhaps developers.may want to stay clear of areas that Studio Tomahawk may be developing new factions for??.

Well the Early Caliphates that the WI300 board is created for could well have fought against The Rus or Varangian Guard, so that's too possible uses for the Vikings? Not entirely sure if any other factions could be twisted to suit, but then I guess it depends how historically accurate you want to be in the first place... Welsh or Scots vs Bretons for example, is that actually documented or even likely?

Also as the scenario itself indicates, the board suits the endless infighting between various Arab tribes so is almost self contained and if you read the article itself the author (none other than Martin Gibbons of WAB fame) decided to use the SAGA system as a means to an end for the battle he wanted to recreate, and was good enough to publish it along with full details of the backstory and scenario itself... as its not truly an 'official' battleboard you are more than likely to get the choice of whether you wish to play against it or not?
cheers
Nick
nick_simmerson

Next

Return to The Laboratory