Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Age of the Wolf Campaign

Where battle reports are posted

Age of the Wolf Campaign

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello everyone! A group of my local gamers have started participating in a campaign. We are focusing on the dark ages for this one (partly to give everyone a few months to get their A&A stuff assembled and painted). I will be posting here to document my campaign progress.

I have chosen the Irish, one of my favorite factions. When I rolled out my characteristics I got Kings Domain for a motivation, Golden Hoard, Landwaster, and Skilled Warrior. This sets me up nicely with plenty of gold for buying reinforcements, a banner before I can have one, a nasty combat surprise for my warlord, and a great and fitting motivation.

Then I filled out my warband roster. I've chosen to take full advantage of the special options for the Irish. Choosing two points of hearthguard combined into a 6 man unit with the banner and two champions. Then two points of warriors, one of which is designated as hounds.

For our first campaign season the majority of players chose to defend. I on the other hand chose to Campaign across the Irish Sea into Northumbria as it seemed a plausible choice for a minor warband searching for land development. Unfortunately the Saxon player felt the same way and campaigned into Ireland. This ended up with a game of The Hazel Wands. Which is not ideal for my Irish ambush tactics, but could prove fruitful for one of my champions. The game is scheduled for a week from now. I'll post again with results later!
Quickdraw

Re: Age of the Wolf Campaign

Postby NoisyAssassin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Sounds like you and your group are off to a great start on your campaign!
NoisyAssassin

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm

I've completed my first campaign game and have concluded season 1 of our campaign!
My Anglo Saxon opponent and I met for a game of "the hazel wands" yesterday. We set up terrain per the book and ended up with three forest patches spread around the periphery of our battlefield. My opponent deployed first and I winced as I saw two groups of 10 warriors, a small 4 man group of warriors playing bodyguard to the warlord, and a 12 strong levy unit armed with spear and shield. I had my work cut out for me.
I deployed my warlord, my champions, my 8 warriors and 8 warhounds closer towards the right flank with my 6 hearthguard nestled in a forest on my left.
The champions engaged in single combat and naturally my Irish champion was able to best his poor warrior.
I ended up trying to whittle him down with javelins as fast as I could. Swinging my warriors and hounds through some woods on the right. He sent a unit of warriors and levy to attack my hearthguard while his warlord came straight through the center in an attempt to get into combat with mine.
After a number of turns I had all but destroyed his warriors on my right flank and his levy on my left. At this point I had only lost 6 models... (hot dice for me). Over the next few turns our warlords clashed repeatedly, neither of us able to land a killing blow. The bretwalda Saxon ability saved him numerous times. Luckily for me I was finally able to destroy his last warriors and eventually strike down the warlord. 20 something victory points to 8 - a stunning win for the Irish.
In the post game I rolled 5 levy reinforcments on the fate table, ended up spending some gold to bolster my depleted warrior unit, and buy some land.

For season two I have decided to defend as I thought 5 levy would look a little shabby, so I'm up to a full 12 now. And as of this writing nobody has attacked me yet. The campaign is looking up for the time being!
Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Sat May 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Sorry to not update this for the most previous season. Nothing fun happened though so it's not a big deal. I defended a second time in the third season to bolster my troops even more. I have now added 4 warriors to my existing unit to give myself a large 12 strong warrior unit.
One of the Viking players had decided to raid against me but then ended up not being able to make any of the games we scheduled. Our campaign organizer decided that he would be required to pay Danegeld even though he was the attacker. So now I'm looking good for reinforcements, flush with gold, and ready to Campaign my way to land domination and a win for the last three seasons.
Quickdraw

Postby Codsticker » Sun May 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Ithink that serves him right. :D
Codsticker

Postby Quickdraw » Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 pm

I've started season 4 with a bang. I chose to campaign into Anglo-Danish territory and attack the defending Anglo-Danish player. His warlord has the learned trait so was able to choose our battle. He chose Sacred Ground, which is a pretty fun scenario.
We played 5 points for this game. I deployed a large warrior unit in the center backed up by a champion and my warlord. I deployed levy on the right to occupy the farthest objective. And a champion with some hearthguard on the left. The plan was to contest all three objectives, and it looked like he wouldn't be going after my right flank at all. Yet again I was able to whittle down his forces with ranged attacks before forcing his units to move out of the objective areas. I made liberal use of the Irish ability to decrease the enemy attack dice when they are in difficult ground.
By the end of 6 turns I had twice as many victory points as my opponent.

In the post game I brought my warhounds back up to full strength and then my fate roll allowed me to upgrade those warhounds into hearthguard!

I have been challenged by another Viking player who is going to raid into my lands. So I'll have another game this season.
Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. It's been a little busy recently.
The Viking player and I were not ever able to meet for our game, our schedules just never meshed. The campaign organizer decided not to penalize either of us with gold payments simply because we were both struggling, it wasn't one sided.

I began season 5 with a campaign into Anglo-Saxon lands again. This time around we played The Buhr scenario which was new to both of us. He ended up forcing an Anglo-Danish ally to commit troops as well to get up to 5 points.
He deployed levy on one wall, warriors on the other, then two units of warriors and his warlord behind the gate. I deployed everything generally around the center. I spent the first four turns maneuvering and breaking open the gate. With the occasional Saxon casualty to long range. Once the gate was broken I sent in 4 hearthguard who slaughtered a warrior unit before being killed by extremely buffed levy.
I proceeded to clog the gate area with long range attacks and finally moved everyone in on turn 7. Which is also when my warlord was able to kill his warlord for a second time.

Another crushing victory for the Irish!

In the post game I gained some warrior reinforcments, a couple hearthguard, and increased my overall power. The Viking player from my previous posts and I are looking to have another try at our game on Sunday. Then we will be starting the final season. Right now I'm in a great place to possibly win the campaign.
Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Another update on the campaign.
Last Sunday the Viking player and I were finally able to meet for a 5 point catch up game.
As he was raiding and I was defending we ended up rolling the Loot and Burn scenario. We deployed three buildings and three crops covering most of the central table area.
I deployed my levy archers in the middle of the village but misjudged the distance as our cloth was a 4'x4'. The area was deceiving and I deployed much to close to his table edge. It would hurt me in the beginning turns of the game. The Viking player had five points of hearthguard all in small units with one of those designated as berserkers.
I deployed a large group of warriors and two small groups of hearthguard in the center of my table edge with the intention of reacting to his rampaging plunderers.

In the first turn of the game the beserkers and warlord charged my levy completely wiping them out, however in the third turn his beserkers fell to a mass of javelins. Throughout the game my troops were forced to maneuver around the table trying to cut off his men before they could burn our crops and cottages.

By the end of the game I had completely wiped out his warband but he had burned five of the six objectives netting him 10 extra VP. I blame his incredibly lucky dice rolls when resting for a burn action.

I ended up losing by three victory points.

In the post game I rolled poor harvest (bummer) and bumped my levy back up to full strength.

A minor setback but nothing to worry about yet. The final season is underway! Our campaign organizer has also chosen to add a catch up season on the end to fit in any missed games, however any Danegeld paid already still holds.
Quickdraw

Postby Codsticker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Great to hear you guys are still playing this through.
Codsticker

Return to Battle Songs