Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Koyote's Britons

Where Saga warbands, M&T war parties and sceneries are proudly displayed by members of this esteemed meeting place

Re: Koyote's Britons

Postby Koyote » Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 pm

I've (mostly) completed my first 10 Briton warriors.

I need to do some experimentation with basing materials and I'm still waiting for my Ammo Autumn leaves to arrive, so I haven't added any static grass and/or tufts to the bases. Once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll post another photo of the completed models.

Their shields are so large that getting and angle that shows more than just shields is difficult. I suppose I should include shots from the side and the rear.

I will need to take their shield size into account when determining how to arrange the models on my army display base. The Briton warriors will need to be angled so that a viewer looking at the display from directly in front of the display will see the models' bodies and not just their shields and heads.

I've been complaining about this for years, but I really need to buy a better camera and get myself a decent backdrop.
Koyote

Postby Koyote » Tue May 30, 2017 4:05 pm

From time to time, Jim Graham, the proprietor of Worldsmith Industries gives me some of his miscasts and other resin terrain goodies. One such gift was a circular 6-inch diameter area terrain base. He plays Wood Elves, so I suspect that he made the original to serve as the 'free-forest terrain' that Wood Elves get to bring to the table.

The Aetius Arthur mercenary unit, Guides, have a mechanic similar to the WFB/9th Age Wood Elves, except that the owning player may remove or move an existing piece of terrain or add a M x M element of uneven ground to the table. I've used Guides in my last three games and they've been nothing but win, so it was certainly worth my time to paint a purpose-built piece of terrain for them.

The Celtic swirls work great for my Britain based warband. Also, I decided at the outset of my Briton project that my Guides are Cymry mercenaries, so the swirls symbolize these largely, non-Romanized Britons.

The modular nature of the terrain lets me decide between terrain types. The photos below depict Rocky Ground, which doesn't block LOS, but it does give my Guides hard cover. If I need terrain to block LOS, then I replace the rocks with trees and voilà, it's a Wood.

The rocky outcrops are made by Worldsmith Industries. The gnarled tree comes from GW's, Citadel Woods kit. The GW trees work great with the Worldsmith area terrain because the diameter of the GW tree bases match that of the Worldsmith Industries' spotface recesses.

Koyote

Postby NoisyAssassin » Tue May 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Terrain piece looks good; first Britons look great!
NoisyAssassin

Postby Koyote » Wed May 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Except for one pose (which is poorly scaled), the Footsore Miniatures wolfhounds are quite nice. Nevertheless, once I got to see them in person, I realized that none of the poses are quite right for what I have in mind. Plus, I wanted Mordred's doggies to look a bit more vicious.

After searching around a bit more, I decided to give the Malifaux Guild Hounds a try. Neither their armor or breed matches that of the Roman war dog (dobermans were first bred in Germany, 1,400 years after the fall of Rome), but their scale, poses and best of all, viciousness are all spot on. Will I be forgiven for this anachronism? Who knows. Do I care? A little, but I really like these models, so my Britons may end up including two time traveling canines.

Koyote

Postby Koyote » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:34 am

Except for their bases (I'm still waiting for those damn leaves to arrive), I've completed another 6 warriors. I now have two painted units of 8 warriors, each with a Decanus (or the Romano Briton equivalent) and an infantryman holding a draco.

The 6 point warband that I've been playing includes 3 points of warriors. Because I've been fielding 1 point of mercenaries (typically Guides), in order to generate 6 SAGA dices, I need for my warriors to generate 3 SAGA dice. I've experimented fielding them as either three units of 8 warriors or two units of 10 warriors accompanied by a unit of 4 warrior that hides in the rear. I've found that a unit of 10 combined with their Briton defensive orders can take (and deliver) a pretty good hit and remain combat effective, while the units of 8 warriors tend to struggle. Right now, two tens and a four is my preferred configuration.
Koyote

Postby ducat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:22 am

10/7/7 is also a good combination I find.

Figs are looking great. I have just finished assembling my warlord and 16 hearthguard, all mounted, 12 curtys figures with a few footsore (Arthur as wl) to round out numbers. Got to work out how to paint them next. Yours will be a handy inspiration.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby Koyote » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:26 pm

As I noted in an earlier post, my preferred distribution for my 3 points of warriors is 10, 10, and 4. If the game goes well the unit of 4 warriors spends the entire game where it was deployed. If the game goes less well, it spends the second half of the game in a "strategic retreat" in order to preserve the SAGA die that it generates.

This small unit doesn't see much action, but that doesn't mean it has to be an easily forgettable unit of grunts. To jazz up the unit, I assembled it from cool command models that I couldn't fit into my other units or baggage models. Perhaps this unit represents the century's aging centurion and his bodyguards.

Except for their bases, the first two models are done.

Koyote

Postby Koyote » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:39 am

Except for the bases, my "reserve" unit of 4 warriors is done.

The autumn leaves saga continues...

The AMMO autumn leaves and basing materials that I ordered from Kings Hobbies & Games (over 3 weeks ago), are still on back order, so I cancelled my order. Kings Hobbies refunded my order immediately and with no hassle, which I greatly appreciate. Thanks KHG.

I placed a new order with the manufacturer in Spain. My order shipped the next day and I expect to get it early next week. The expedited shipping from Europe cost me a bit more, but buying products directly from AMMO is 20% less expensive, so it is essentially a wash.

Because of the savings and larger variety of products to choose from, I went a bit crazy. I added to my order some of AMMO's grass mats material, tufts, shrubs, ferns, and meadow flowers. I have tufts from a few manufacturers, so it will be interesting to compare them to AMMO's products.
Koyote

Previous

Return to The Parade Ground