Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Welsh Tactics

Where we discuss tactics for each faction

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby Skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I bought a 4 point Gripping Beast boxed Welsh army and two extra Warrior units. I've got some paint on one of the Warrior units. I am committed!

I've been reading here, and yesterday I watched "Thorsday" #1 and #2 on the Welsh. A couple of questions came to me; 1; "children of the corn... um, Land" "During the turn... You do not suffer any movement reduction for whatever reason." Does this include me charging into melee from 6 inches away with 1 fatigue and not allowing the enemy to shorten my movement? Ohhhh I do hope so!

"Hit and run" is another one I question. Here it is said that the Warlord (if within Medium of the unit activated) could activate and he in turn can use "We Obey" there by activating another friendly unit. A two for one! Woohoo!

Also, Holy Ground. The Thorsday boys seemed to think you could shorten a mounted move because of the point made that going from long to medium is only something that a mounted unit could do. Yet it does say "foot unit." Confusing...

Does a unit that has already moved get a fatigue when making a second move while using "the rising out?"

When might one ever use "War Dance?"
Skip
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby ducat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Skip wrote:I bought a 4 point Gripping Beast boxed Welsh army and two extra Warrior units. I've got some paint on one of the Warrior units. I am committed!

I've been reading here, and yesterday I watched "Thorsday" #1 and #2 on the Welsh. A couple of questions came to me; 1; "children of the corn... um, Land" "During the turn... You do not suffer any movement reduction for whatever reason." Does this include me charging into melee from 6 inches away with 1 fatigue and not allowing the enemy to shorten my movement? Ohhhh I do hope so!


Your foot units movement may not be reduced. so yes, fatigue being spent when they are activated to move will have no effect on their movement.

Skip wrote:"Hit and run" is another one I question. Here it is said that the Warlord (if within Medium of the unit activated) could activate and he in turn can use "We Obey" there by activating another friendly unit. A two for one! Woohoo!


This changed when C&C was released, as the We Obey rule may only now be used during your turn. As Hit and Run is an activation/reaction you will never get to play it in your turn.

Skip wrote:Also, Holy Ground. The Thorsday boys seemed to think you could shorten a mounted move because of the point made that going from long to medium is only something that a mounted unit could do. Yet it does say "foot unit." Confusing...


No. This only works on foot units as it says in its box. There are foot units that move L, or can be made to move L (see Muttatwwattai battle board for an ability example: like djins, or Irish wolfhounds as a unit type)

Skip wrote:Does a unit that has already moved get a fatigue when making a second move while using "the rising out?"


Yes. It does not say they do not.

Skip wrote:When might one ever use "War Dance?"


when you want 3 attack AND 3 Defence dice for just two dice cost. It is actually really useful as a defence ability rather than an attacking one.
ducat
Rules Mastermind
 
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Broadstairs, Kent

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby Pepys » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:29 pm

I was just typing a response to when Ducat beat me to it. I'll just add that Welsh tactics are also covered in the Northern Tempest podcast episode 3: https:[email protected]


The consensus is that it is the War Dance is the worst ability on any board. Maybe as a last desperate move you might use it but even then you'll probably find a better use for the dice. The Welsh board also features probably the best ability on any board...
Pepys
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby Triof » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Ignore this

Ducat answered as I was typing up my response, just check his reply, he's always right (and gave the same answers I was).
Triof
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby Skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:08 pm

I thank you all!

One more question at 30:12 on the Northern Tempest Episode #3 (and thanks for that Pepys) one of the fellows speaks about "taunting" saying you taunt them and then fire a combine(?) and then rest as your first activation. He speaks very fast and he speaks an English (not my English though, sadly)... and I don't understand what he means. Help me! Please!
Skip
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby Pepys » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm

The tactic you mention is like this:
Let us say the game is between Vikings and Welsh. It is the Welsh turn and a Viking warrior unit with a fatigue is close to a Welsh Warrior unit.
Welsh use Taunting to make the Viking unit charge and fight the Welsh warriors. The Vikings have fatigue which the welsh can use to help them win.
After the melee both the Viking and Welsh unit have a fatigue. Now the Welsh unit has not yet activated this turn so their first activation is to rest and remove the fatigue. Now the Welsh warriors activate again to charge into the Vikings and fight them in a melee. The Vikings still have a fatigue so once again the Welsh have an advantage.
Pepys
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Welsh Tactics

Postby Skip » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:50 am

So, a "combine" is a double attack... do a melee, disengage, activate and melee a second time. And the Welsh can eliminate the fatigue from the first melee!! I get it! Makes sense now, thanks!
Skip
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Previous

Return to Tactica

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

suspicion-preferred