Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Koyote's SAGA Irish, Terrain and Other Stuff

Where Saga warbands, M&T war parties and sceneries are proudly displayed by members of this esteemed meeting place

Re: Koyote's SAGA Irish

Postby Valadorn » Tue May 16, 2017 9:00 am

Koyote wrote:Here's my first 3 WIP Fianna (Hearthguard) armed with dane axes. The last three will all have GS cloaks.

I know I am digging an ancient thread, but I would like to ask. Is this banner historically accurate regarding the Irish? Not 100% of course, it is from the WL ancient celts command, but Irish had this kind of stuff?
Valadorn

Re: Koyote's SAGA Irish, Terrain and Other Stuff

Postby Koyote » Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm

It's my understanding that Christianity first come to the British Isles in the 3rd century and spread to Ireland in the late 4th century or early 5th century. I've read that by the end of the 7th century, Christianity had a pretty strong hold on the island. Historical the writings of Christian monks and archeological artifacts suggest that paganism and Celtic pagan imagery continued for some time. Some attribute this to the fact that early Irish Christianity incorporated many pagan practices, beliefs, and holy sites. You needn't look any further than the Irish High Crosses that started popping up in the 8th century and continued as a tradition into the 12th century. These large stone crosses were covered in a combination of Christian and Celtic imagery and patterns.

Inspired by my love for Gaelic myths and the fact that the SAGA Irish rules incorporate champions (Cú Chulainn?), at the outset of my Irish project I decided that my Irish came from a clan of early Dark Age pagan holdouts or possibly a clan that wore only the thinnest veneer of Christianity. As such, they've kept to the old ways and continue to venerate symbols and traditions from their people's pagan past.
Koyote

Postby Valadorn » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am

Koyote wrote:It's my understanding that Christianity first come to the British Isles in the 3rd century and spread to Ireland in the late 4th century or early 5th century. I've read that by the end of the 7th century, Christianity had a pretty strong hold on the island. Historical the writings of Christian monks and archeological artifacts suggest that paganism and Celtic pagan imagery continued for some time. Some attribute this to the fact that early Irish Christianity incorporated many pagan practices, beliefs, and holy sites. You needn't look any further than the Irish High Crosses that started popping up in the 8th century and continued as a tradition into the 12th century. These large stone crosses were covered in a combination of Christian and Celtic imagery and patterns.

Inspired by my love for Gaelic myths and the fact that the SAGA Irish rules incorporate champions (Cú Chulainn?), at the outset of my Irish project I decided that my Irish came from a clan of early Dark Age pagan holdouts or possibly a clan that wore only the thinnest veneer of Christianity. As such, they've kept to the old ways and continue to venerate symbols and traditions from their people's pagan past.

Excellent, thanks for the answer! I was looking for something in that direction. I wanted to paint something celtic-ish as I like the celtic tradition. I will take a very similar approach. This is an awesome thread.
Valadorn

Postby Koyote » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Valadorn wrote:
Koyote wrote:It's my understanding that Christianity first come to the British Isles in the 3rd century and spread to Ireland in the late 4th century or early 5th century. I've read that by the end of the 7th century, Christianity had a pretty strong hold on the island. Historical the writings of Christian monks and archeological artifacts suggest that paganism and Celtic pagan imagery continued for some time. Some attribute this to the fact that early Irish Christianity incorporated many pagan practices, beliefs, and holy sites. You needn't look any further than the Irish High Crosses that started popping up in the 8th century and continued as a tradition into the 12th century. These large stone crosses were covered in a combination of Christian and Celtic imagery and patterns.

Excellent, thanks for the answer! I was looking for something in that direction. I wanted to paint something celtic-ish as I like the celtic tradition. I will take a very similar approach. This is an awesome thread.

Have you considered playing Picts or Scotti from the Aetius Arthur expansion?

Koyote

Previous

Return to The Parade Ground