Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

C&C Saracen Tactics

Where we discuss tactics for each faction

Re: Saracen Tactics

Postby Franz Graumann » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Hey ho,

had the first game with my Saracens last night against Vikings. We played 'Champions of God' with 6 points. And I managed to achieve a draw (6 vs. 5 VP for me) against a quite experienced Viking player.

I fielded:

Warlord
2x 5 Ghulams
2x 5 Ghulams with bows
3x 4 Hasharyan (with bows)

generating 6 Saga dice

My opponent had:
2x 6 Hearthguard
2x 8 Warriors
1x 4 Berserkers

generating 6(+1) Saga dice

I deployed my close combat Ghulams together with the Warlord in the centre behind a widely stretched screen of the three levy units (VS from each other). These I could activate quite easily with 'Rise of the Crescent' to either harras my opponent with token shooting or move to 'open the fan'. The two Ghulam units with bows took one flank (supporting each other) and lured the Vikings away while studding them with arrows.

I begged for 'Allahs Blessing' to make the battle board a bit more predictable. This made 'Prophet's Curse' especially usefull in supporting my shooting (reducing my opponents saves from 4+ to 5+), even more so when playing 'Arrows & Shields'. I used 'Omens' always as activation reaction in my opponents turn to roll the maximum of four dice. This produced some highly appreciated Scimitars - to play 'Prophets's Curse' once more in my opponents turn (surplus Scimitars went into the Combat Pool).

Altogether I felt really good with this Warband composition and think I could well have won the game if my to hit rolls against the enemy hearthguard wouldn't have been so bad... . :cry: After some more games I think I will also try the Bedouin Scouts instead of the levies as these seem to be so well suited to support a cavalry warband (have to get some proper modells yet).

Cheers!

Franz Graumann
Franz Graumann

Postby wolflord » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Jep, was a close game. Next time i should recruit some Levy Bowmen, leaving the Berserkers home celebrating in the Mead Hall.

Reading this thread, it seems that using a Priest with the Saracens is a great idea. But with the new September FAQ the rules for Priest have changed. Does anyone still use a Priest (ore worse a Warlord Priest) with his Sarazene warband?
Personally i do not believe that Priests are anymore worth the effort to field them.

Greetings
Wolflord
"Stick em' with the pointy end!"
wolflord

Postby JJMicromegas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Prior to the FAQ I would commonly use the Religious Adviser as my Warlord, the ability to drop a fatigue immediately, role extra dice, remove fatigue was invaluable with the Saracen battleboard. Now I don't think the RA Warlord would really be worth it without that fatige removal.
JJMicromegas

Postby Franz Graumann » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:59 pm

JJMicromegas wrote:Prior to the FAQ I would commonly use the Religious Adviser as my Warlord, the ability to drop a fatigue immediately, role extra dice, remove fatigue was invaluable with the Saracen battleboard. Now I don't think the RA Warlord would really be worth it without that fatige removal.

Loosing 'Belief' AND generating only one Saga die even when taken as a Warlord Priest is a bit too much in my opinion. After the recent FAQ I wouldn't consider fielding one any more, neither as a Saracen player nor in general.

Cheers!

Franz Graumann
Franz Graumann

Re: Saracen Tactics(Allah's Blessing)

Postby frankfrey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Greetings,

One of my 2017 projects is to complete my Saracen Warband. Before I head into battle with them I would like to know if anyone here has used the Allah's Blessing option and if so how well did it work?
frankfrey

Re: Saracen Tactics(Allah's Blessing)

Postby Franz Graumann » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:19 pm

frankfrey wrote:Greetings,

One of my 2017 projects is to complete my Saracen Warband. Before I head into battle with them I would like to know if anyone here has used the Allah's Blessing option and if so how well did it work?

Well, it does make the Battle Board much more predictable. However, Allah's Blessing also alters the effectiveness of some abilities. 'Arrows & Shields' won't be that powerfull in most cases anymore as the difference between the two dice scores (3 and 4) can't be higher than one (but it still has its synergetic use combined with 'Piercing Shots' and/or the Combat Pool). Using 'Prophet's Curse' to deny your opponent any dice roll of four - e.g. to reduce his saves against your shooting or to make your bow armed hearthguard harder to hit in melee - on the other hand is a clear advantage.

Cheers!

Franz Graumann
Franz Graumann

Re: C&C Saracen Tactics

Postby Franz Graumann » Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Hey folks,

after a long absence from Saga, I had a game last night with my Saracens against Vikings. We played a 'Battle at the Ford' with 6 pts and I'd like to share some of my experience.

I had:

WL
6 mounted HG with Bows
6 mounted HG without Bows
8 Warriors on foot
8 Warriors on foot
12 Levy with Bows

My opponent had:

WL
6 HG
6 HG
8 Warriors
8 Warriors
12 Levy with Bows

This time I suspended with 'Allahs Blessing' going for full randomness - and was rightfully punished for it... . I effectively lost the game after turn 2. Admittedly, this was in part due to some bad terrain setup (a large fence effectively cutting my deployment zone in half and thus extremely hampering my cavalry's movement). My opponent got the first turn and immediately blocked both fords with his hearthguard units supported by his levy archers in the centre which created a no-go area for my precious mounted HG.

'Rise of the Crescent' did not work well. This time I intended to make use of the fatigue free follow up activations but activating other units than 4 Levies simply ends in to much fatigue the opponent will place on your key units. Without 'Allahs Blessing' 'Prophet's Curse' is so much of a gamble that you just can't support the warriors well enough. On the other hand, I think that one needs a least 2 pts of Warriors for flexibility, numbers, and some sort of reliable defence perimeter the cavalry can hide behind. I wonder if Ghulams without Bows are even worth taking. You just loose so much tactical flexibility for one point more armour in melee and also a lot of battleboard interactions.

So next time I might try:

WL
6 HG with Bows
6 HG with Bows
8 Warriors
8 Warriors
12 Levy (split up in 3x 4 if not needed to defend a large building/terrain piece)

The warriors could also be split up in one large unit (10-12) with War Banner (taking fatigue from 'Shifting Sands' and then conducting a free rest action) and a small mounted unit (to use 'Saracens Trick').

What do you think?

Cheers!

Franz Graumann
Franz Graumann

Re: C&C Saracen Tactics

Postby Franz Graumann » Fri May 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Franz Graumann wrote:
WL
6 HG with Bows
6 HG with Bows
8 Warriors
8 Warriors
12 Levy (split up in 3x 4 if not needed to defend a large building/terrain piece)

Tried it out last night against my fellow Viking opponent. This Warband setup worked much better; the game (Champions of God) ended in my first Saracen victory. We scored 22 versus 17 slaughtering victory poitns, a damn bloody and very close match (with both Warlords killed). 8-)

I split the Levies in 3x4 and used them as a screen activating them with 'Rise of the Crescent'. It payed off, yet I'm tempted to replace them in the next game with my recently done self-made Bedouin Scouts. Let's see...

Cheers!

Franz Graumann
Franz Graumann

Previous

Return to Tactica