Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Breton Tactics

Where we discuss tactics for each faction

Re: Breton Tactics

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Not bat, maybe the double HG are a litte OP... I prefer greatly more warriors unit for more mobility and more SAGA dice. 12 warriors on foot are a must now.
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.

My newborn miniatures BLOG:
http://thescottishsoldier.blogspot.it/2 ... re-in.html
Higgins

Location: Italy (Sadly) But in Scotland (home) two months a year... for now!

Postby pogo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am

Racoon-Knight wrote:Hi everyone!

After long break in Saga now I restart one of my Saga projects/
On 6pts games I'll going to use that roster:
WL
8HG - Javs
8HG - Javs
4Warriors - Mounted - Javs
12 Warriors on foot

I found that 4 mounted warriors can make some noise by combination of -2 Armor ability and +3(4) Attack dice. so we get from 4 models 4 shots with -2 armor modificator. What do you think about it?

screams for a Warlord/Religious Adviser

Alex (the other one)
Alex (the other one)
pogo

Postby Racoon-Knight » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Of course Warlord must be Religious Advisor on C+ games. Unfortunatly in our comunity not every player accept new things from C+ rulebook(((
Racoon-Knight

Postby coachB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:39 am

Question. If when a unit armed with javelins moves and can shoot at end of movement does not count as shooting so the opponent cannot use his Shooting/Reaction abilities. Why can the Bretons use abilities for shooting if the opponent cannot since it is move,net and not shooting. Now it the Breton does not move and activated the use to shoot with javelins instead of moving, then it activated shooting/Reaction abilities on the opponents board and should also trigger the shooting abilities on the Breton BB.

What am I missing or reading wrong?
Thanks
coachB

Postby Einherjer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:09 am

Movement Activation and javelins -At the end of your movement you enter a shooting sequence (not a Shooting Activation) and you may play any shooting abilities that you may have during the Shooting sequence step 2. Your opposition may only play Shooting/Reaction abilities in response, they may not play any Activation/Reaction abilities .

This is due to the fact that the unit was activated for a Movement Activation and not a Shooting Activation, If however they wished to play any Activation/Reaction abilities they would have had to play them once you had declared your unit to move.

Javelin Shooting Activation - You activate your unit for a Shooting Activation, Here your opponent may play Activation/Reaction Abilities, if they don't you carry on with steps 1, at step 2) Shooting/Reactions may be played, carry to steps 3,4,5.

Example; You activate for a movement (hoping to throw javelins at the end of the movement), the Anglo-Dane player plays 'Intimidation' an Activation/Reaction ability (which cancels your activation outright) so no Movement Activation and no javelins thrown!.

You activate for a movement (hoping to throw javelins at the end of the movement), the Anglo-Dane player does nothing, you move and at the end of the movement now starts the shooting sequence, here the Anglo-Dane player may not play Activation/Reactions!, at step 2) you play what ever shooting abilities you wish, the Anglo-Dane player plays a Shooting/Reaction/s - 'Shieldwall' (which increases the target of the shootings armour value by one).

You activate for a Shooting Activation with your javelins - The Viking player, decides to play a Activation/Reaction which is 'Odin' (forces a unit activated for a Shooting Activation to make a Movement Activation), dang no shooting but he forced you to move into his unit which happened to be within VS!

Or You activate for a Shooting Activation with your javelins - The Viking player doesn't have any Activation/Reactions to play or they wish to save it for later, during step 2) however on their turn to play abilities the Viking player decides to play a Shooting/Reaction ability 'Asgard' (increases armour against an enemy shooting!).

Hope my dribble helps!
Einherjer

Postby ducat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:06 pm

coachB wrote:Question. If when a unit armed with javelins moves and can shoot at end of movement does not count as shooting so the opponent cannot use his Shooting/Reaction abilities. Why can the Bretons use abilities for shooting if the opponent cannot since it is move,net and not shooting. Now it the Breton does not move and activated the use to shoot with javelins instead of moving, then it activated shooting/Reaction abilities on the opponents board and should also trigger the shooting abilities on the Breton BB.

What am I missing or reading wrong?
Thanks

this is clarified in the FAQ -

Can we use Shooting abilities when a unit shoots with javelins or composite bows? After all, javelins are
thrown at the end of a Movement!

I would really wish to answer you that those pesky Welsh cannot use Shooting abilities when they throw their
pointy sticks, but it would be a lie. Javelins can be used at the end of a Movement activation to shoot. In this
case, it initiates a shooting sequence. It is not a Shooting activation, the activation is still considered as a
Movement activation. You can shoot without doing a Shooting activation. Some Saga abilities, like these pesky
Irish can target you with a shooting even with none of their unit actually shooting!
Moreover, a unit equipped with javelins can also be activated for a Shooting and use its weapons normally (as
archers would do for example).
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby ironhead » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 pm

What models can be used for Breton Warriors on foot ?
I prefer plastic/resin models than metal.
ironhead

Postby ducat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:02 pm

I used the plastic Norman infantry from Conquest Games, but gave them the round shields rather than the kite ones.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby Triof » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 am

I'm using the Norman Knights from Conquest Games as my mounted Bretons, so I'll look to pick up some Infantry as well at Salute.

Currently I'm thinking of two units of 6 Hearthguard, two units of 6 Warriors and a unit of 12 Warriors on foot.
Triof

Postby ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Hello!

Just used Bretons for the first time this weekend and went up against a good opponent and his Jomsvikings. We played for slaughter points and I won it 9-8. Being my first time running Bretons (and a move-shoot warband at that - my usual being all the iterations of Vikings, Pagan Rus, and Scots) this was out of my wheelhouse a bit.

It was a fun and challenging war band to play and I now see the efficacy of this band. In All Directions allowed me to make a strategic move by "going deep" into my opponents rear, drawing some forces back there, then popping right back around and into the front leaving those Joms out of the fight for 2-3 rounds. It was notable as some of us in Portland like to say "Saga is not a game of grand maneuvers!" like a huge feint deep into a flank and shooting right back into the front but with In All Directions you can do something like that.

My List is pretty vanilla:
Warlord
HG x8
HG x4 (Warlord's Bodyguard)
War x8
War x8
Levy x12 (and the Joms ate them like candy with Northern Tempest and just stabbing them)

Like I mentioned above I ran a "feint" hoping to pull his Joms into 2 units and them turn around and hurry back and chuck javelins at one half of his split unit. Worked great. While deploying I thought to myself, "what is my strength and his weakness?" The answer was "Joms need Wrath, and are on foot - I have movement AND many activations to use that movement."

So, while not allowing Wrath I activated for moves on my turn (any javelin tossing was below average at best ... that's just how Saga is) and then kept In All Directions loaded so I could also move on his turn. This worked well and my Saga dice were with me.

It may have seemed I put my Levies up for bait as that is what happened but I will admit that was not the plan. They moved into a woods and meant to harass and deny ground but they just died in those woods. In hindsight I'm bringing Flemish Mercs or another point of mounted warriors next time around, only playing Levies when up against Joms.

In round 4 the Joms did get some Wrath, via a force on me, and used it to do some damage to me and gain 4 points making it 6-3. I turned around and gained 4 more points with volleys of javelins on a separated Joms HG unit. Bottom of round 5 it was 7-6 Bretons. Top of round 6 I denied Wrath again, this time losing 3 Warriors (for 2 points 8-7 Joms) so the Joms were forced to go for the kill on my Warlord with 6 Warriors. I had Backwards loaded up and my Warlord used that to escape and move abreast of his bodyguard. The Joms activated again and the only melee took place, the dice were with me, I killed 3 warriors for 2 points and I saved the 2 hits scored by Joms giving me the 9-8 win after the Joms Board was expended.

The only question that arose was by me and seeing if fatigue was earned when using In All Directions - no. My gracious opponent even told me so. I did not consider the use of We Obey with In All Directions until I saw Ducat's post from 4 years ago regarding that. Looking it up this afternoon that is a legit move per the rules. It is going into the arsenal for later use.

ETA:
Models used were straight up Gripping Beast 4 point starter and some packs.
ninja-elbow

PreviousNext

Return to Tactica