Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Koyote's Britons

Where Saga warbands, M&T war parties and sceneries are proudly displayed by members of this esteemed meeting place

Re: Koyote's Britons

Postby Koyote » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

The addition of the hard basing really brings it all together.

Still waiting for Guinevere to arrive...

Koyote

Postby Koyote » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 am

The display bases at this year's Adepticon SAGA tournaments put mine to shame, but next year, things will be different. Well, at least I hope so...

Like many of the best display bases at this year's event, I want my display base to tell a story. Inspired by my mounted Mordred model, which looks like it's about the chuck a spear into some poor *******'s chest (or back), my display base will depict a battle scene. More specifically, it will portray the rout of a Saxon warband. Casualties will lie scattered on the ground where the Saxon shield wall once stood. The ranks of my Britons will be advancing and on one flank the Briton cavalry will be galloping ahead of Briton infantry, in pursuit of the fleeing Saxons.

The models that I will use for the prone casualties arrived this afternoon. They are made by Curteys Miniatures and sold by 1st Corps, out of the UK. The two columns on the left are Saxons and the two columns on the right are Britons. The models are resin and the detail is amazing. For casualty models, I give these 4.5 out 5 stars. Or, if you prefer, 4.5 out of 5 butchered Saxons. Image

I ordered some blisters of birds from Kromlech, hoping to get a good crow/raven for Morgan Le Fay's base. In contrast the Curtey models, these models are terrible -poorly sculpted and cast. Image Nevertheless, I was able to find one that, with a bit of GS, will work for what I need.

If I do, on occasion, play my Britons as all infantry, then I need 5 HG on foot to replace my 5 mounted HG. I distinguish my HG by their cloaks -HG have them, warriors don't. I'm not going to include any War Banners in this warband, but I want each Briton unit to have a Roman style Draco. I ran out of cloaked models that are suitably posed, so I broke out the GS and added a (passable) cloak to the standard bearer from Footsore's Mordred blister.

The models the foreground will be my auxiliary unit of foot HG. The models in the year will be my first string HG foot. I love the model holding its helm in its arm. It's made by West Wind Productions.

Koyote

Postby zhodanicommando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:22 am

Some nice hobby tips, the project is coming along nicely. I've started up some Saxons from the A&A book, put them aside to paint some Infinity, then read your postings, and get them back out again (so do I hate you or thank you, I'm still not sure yet;)). I have a quick question are they going to allow A&A entries? I've heard rumor about possible split of C&C from the rest, but not sure if this is true or what direction they will go at Adepticon.

Cheers
Kevin
zhodanicommando

Postby NoisyAssassin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Ooh, your display board idea sounds amazing. Looking forward to seeing it develop.
NoisyAssassin

Postby Koyote » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:08 pm

NoisyAssassin wrote:Ooh, your display board idea sounds amazing. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Thanks.

Below is a (very) rough sketch of the plans for my display base.

Guides are A&A mercenaries that are armed with javelins and not slowed by uneven ground. Guides permits the owning player to: 1) move one element of terrain, or 2) remove one element of terrain, or 3) add to the table one M x M element of terrain. I have the perfect piece of 6" DIA modular terrain (made by Worldsmith Industries), that I will rest in a circular insert in the display base.

Koyote

Previous

Return to The Parade Ground