Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mini Battle of Ayn Jalut 1260

Where we discuss existing and new scenarios

Mini Battle of Ayn Jalut 1260

Postby Caesar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:31 am

If I want to set up a clash between Mamluks and Mongols, what factions would be most appropriate? Mamluks = Saracen, Mongols = Steppe Tribes?
Caesar

Re: Mini Battle of Ayn Jalut 1260

Postby Codsticker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:21 am

If you have the Aetius and Arthur supplement you could use the Hum board for Mongols.
Codsticker

Postby King Krum » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 am

Codsticker wrote:If you have the Aetius and Arthur supplement you could use the Hum board for Mongols.

Agree about the Huns as the Mongols at Ayn Jalut were mostly Mongolised Quipchaks at this point,
Look at a Mounted Byzantine warband for the Mamluks?
King Krum

Postby Caesar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Interesting.

I'll have to purchase the A&A supplement and check out the Huns. Steppe Tribes are very shooty but have to mind their distance or they get chopped up. How do Huns fare up close?

As for Mamluks, I hadn't thought of using Byzantines. I suppose any faction with strong cavalry could be substituted, such as Rus Princes or Bretons?

Does this mean that the Saracen faction only represents Muslims of the Levant under Zangi, Nur ad Din and Saladin? Are the Mumluks sufficiently different in tactics to warrant a different faction?
Caesar

Postby Horrible Pervert » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Caesar wrote:Interesting.

I'll have to purchase the A&A supplement and check out the Huns. Steppe Tribes are very shooty but have to mind their distance or they get chopped up. How do Huns fare up close?

As for Mamluks, I hadn't thought of using Byzantines. I suppose any faction with strong cavalry could be substituted, such as Rus Princes or Bretons?

Does this mean that the Saracen faction only represents Muslims of the Levant under Zangi, Nur ad Din and Saladin? Are the Mumluks sufficiently different in tactics to warrant a different faction?

I don't Think it represents anyone that well. The saracen board is basically a practical joke where they took the arabic saying of "Inshallah" and made a faction based on that. The faction has wide Equipment that is suitable for the Mamluks, like mounted warrior and hearthguard Archers but the battle board itself is not suited for Heavy cavalry or shooting. The board is more in the lines of tounge in cheek fun with the D6 random abilities, it can be annoying to face with cavalry. I would use Another gaming system to recreate a historical battle. I haven't played the saracens much but I had most success with infantry nafatun, my impression is that saracens don't hold up very well in combat and whatever shoots at them will reap a Heavy toll.

The byzantine board has surprisingly durable cavalry, but they are quite weak when kitted out for shooting. It is also a very hard board to play.
Horrible Pervert

Postby pyruse » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 am

You might find a different board is a better match. Rus Princes certainly might do the trick.
Normans might actually be a good match (you'd probably want to add some mounted archers); the combination of shooting abilities and mounted charges and extra movement would work pretty well for Arab armies in general.
pyruse

Postby Codsticker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 pm

The Spanish board might work quite well but you would have to take Turcomans or Turcopoles mercenaries if you want any mounted archers. You are fudguing things anyways so go ahead and take naffatun as well. :D
Codsticker

Return to The Plain