Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A&A Saxon Tactics

Where we discuss tactics for each faction

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby King Krum » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Triof wrote:
King Krum wrote:I misread a couple of the abilities which probably cost me the game (I hadn't realised that 2 "automatic hits" meant 2 figures lost if my opponent had not used extra Defence dice)


Wait, is this the case? I thought that automatic hits were generated in step 4 just like normal hits, and therefore you would get to roll one defence dice for each automatic hit as well, just like normal attacks?


That is what I thought but reading the full explanation of the ability in A&A it seems to say unless some Attack dice have been designated as Defence dice it is an automatic loss. As I said I haven't played for 18 months so may have it wrong but will check when I get home. I would have caused at least 2 casualties the first time I used it and then would have suffered fewer hits myself so re-reading would seem wise.
King Krum
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby King Krum » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 am

Triof wrote:
King Krum wrote:I misread a couple of the abilities which probably cost me the game (I hadn't realised that 2 "automatic hits" meant 2 figures lost if my opponent had not used extra Defence dice)


Wait, is this the case? I thought that automatic hits were generated in step 4 just like normal hits, and therefore you would get to roll one defence dice for each automatic hit as well, just like normal attacks?


Hi Triof

That's exactly what is says on p44 under the explanation of "Warcry"
I thought it was wrong so played it 2 x extra hits as well then had a look through after the game and it says exactly that - no extra Defence dice = 2 x dead 'uns!
King Krum
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby Triof » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 am

Ah - I understand now. It's not that automatic hits don't generate defence dice, it's that the Warcry ability itself removes two defence dice from the pool.

So if your opponent hasn't generated any extra defence dice, then there's two models killed automatically, as they will now have less defence dice than hits caused.

If you are causing automatic hits by other means, they'll still generate defence dice as normal.
Triof
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby King Krum » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Triof wrote:Ah - I understand now. It's not that automatic hits don't generate defence dice, it's that the Warcry ability itself removes two defence dice from the pool.

So if your opponent hasn't generated any extra defence dice, then there's two models killed automatically, as they will now have less defence dice than hits caused.

If you are causing automatic hits by other means, they'll still generate defence dice as normal.


You describe it better than the book!
King Krum
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby Higgins » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Just a little question: We play 8 points which means that my standard Lord has two activation per turn. Now what if I play Horsa and Hangist? I've got 4 activation though? Onli Hangist has two? Because in the book is stated that both are lord in all aspect?
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.

My newborn miniatures BLOG:
http://thescottishsoldier.blogspot.it/2 ... re-in.html
Higgins
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Italy (Sadly) But in Scotland (home) two months a year... for now!

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby PAnz3r » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Which miniatures are suited to rappresent A&A saxons? I have the "dark age" Saxons
PAnz3r
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:26 am

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby Higgins » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm

PAnz3r wrote:Which miniatures are suited to rappresent A&A saxons? I have the "dark age" Saxons


No Dane axes, no mounted units. Only archers for your Levies. For the rest Saxon warriors are good
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.

My newborn miniatures BLOG:
http://thescottishsoldier.blogspot.it/2 ... re-in.html
Higgins
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Italy (Sadly) But in Scotland (home) two months a year... for now!

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby Triof » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:02 am

Higgins wrote:
PAnz3r wrote:Which miniatures are suited to rappresent A&A saxons? I have the "dark age" Saxons


No Dane axes, no mounted units. Only archers for your Levies. For the rest Saxon warriors are good


I'm not sure if there's any proof in it, but I've read that Saxons would be more armed with bucklers rather than proper round shields, that it was meant to indicate a more heroic style of combat and individuals fighting, rather than the solid shield walls of the Anglo-Saxons.
Triof
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby PAnz3r » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Uhm...also the extensive chainmail seem a bit odd ,isn't it?
PAnz3r
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:26 am

Re: A&A Saxon Tactics

Postby King Krum » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:33 am

Second game with the Saxons and tried the Hengist and Horsa option with 4 HG, 24 (10/10/4) W and 12 bow L against Romans of 8 HG, 12 bow W and 20 spear W.

Ran the L into a hut on the first move and dominated the centre. Sent the two big W commands on a wide sweep against his bow. He panicked a bit and started to move his troops away from my shooting which allowed me to hit his bow using the ability that gives a move when shooting casualties taken. He kept playing Ardour which gives lots of attack dice but I Exhausted them and then launched into a W unit that was being repeatedly shot up and killed all but 1.

Formed a battle line with H & H plus 4 HG and 4 W - he ploughed into them with W and HG and I battered them. The lone W was charged by my L who killed him leaving a WL, 2 exhausted bow W and 3 W.

Highlight was a lone Saxon launching a suicide attack on 7 W, playing the ability that gives half the number of opponent unit attack dice and killing 5 of them ;-). Low point playing Insignificant when he had three units at 3 or less and he threw 3 rare dice!

Like the faction a lot as you can plan ahead and use abilities in combination. Getting two potential Side by Side attacks per turn is very nice at the end of a game.
King Krum
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Tactica

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

suspicion-preferred