Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Goths Vs Huns first battle.

Where battle reports are posted

Goths Vs Huns first battle.

Postby Goggy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

I had my first game with Goths the other day, against Graham who played Huns. I decided to go mainly mounted, as the Huns would find it too easy to keep distance from a foot warband. It was a 6 point game, so my Ostrogothic Goths were 3 points of mounted HG (2x6), 2 of mounted warriors (2x8) and a point of Levy (1x12). Gra was all mounted (to be expected) had 2 points of HG (1x8), 3 of warriors (4x6) and an extra enlightened priest alongside his WL.

I decided on a large wood fairly central on the map, another smaller one on the table edge and Gra had a single hill. I managed to remove the hill so we formed up mostly on one side, with my levy in the big wood. My intention was to use my levy if he got close enough, but keep them in the wood. I would then use my HG as my main assault force backed up by the warriors. I had to get stuck in, or lose.

Gra won the toss and moved all four bow cavalry and killed 2 HG and 2 warriors with his first volley. My saves were not kind to me. His first Saga dice roll had 4 sixes! so he managed a full 8 dice so had enough dice to do 'Endless Horde' which put 3 of his attacking units back to safety, he left one near me. Ha also placed 2 of the 6's on 'Panic', a nasty orders/reaction.

At the end of my 'Orders' phase he used that nasty 'Panic' which means I either let him move two of my units anywhere he wants (damn cheek) or I take 2 fatigues each on 2 units. I chose the later. This was because Goths use fatigues when they attack, in fact to a degree they welcome fatigues. As I was going to attack with my HG and try to get early casualties on the Huns, I decided to take the 2 fatigues on each of the 2 HG units. This was a huge error on my part. I forgot that I needed two moves to reach him, so an extra fatigue, and after the melee they would get another, which would leave them exhausted. Then in the Hun move they would most likely be charged by his HG so would have a further fatigue, which meant that even after resting them, they would still be exhausted. Luckily I could use 'Fade' which meant I would be able to reduce fatigue further but it was risky.

To cut a long story short I did wipe out 2 of his warrior units, but his 8 HG and WL soon got revenge, by wiping out my 2 units of HG and a supporting unit of warriors plus he killed my WL which I had used alongside the HG. Okay, I did kill most of his HG too, but after the epic cavalry fight I was left with my unused levy and an unused unit of warriors, against 2 units of warriors and his remaining 3 HG (I think) but he still had his WL whilst mine was dead, so I conceded.

Poor saga dice from me did not help, I think I only threw 3 sixes all told, while Gra threw 4 on his firt throw! (the git) and 1-2 each time after that. He also could use his enlightened priest to get any more 6's he needed, not that he had to that much as he kept throwing them. (grrrr)

No excuses though, I made a huge error in taking the 4 fatigues on my HG in that first move and paid the price. Good game.
Goggy

Re: Goths Vs Huns first battle.

Postby GrahamC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 am

Yes, an enjoyable game. Enjoyed the Huns. Although initially thought to be quite shoot, the hg can dish out the damage. 8-)
I could have played it better. The warrior units I lost, early on (the bait!!!) were to close together. Next time, I will spread them a little more.

I was not sure about the unit sizes for the warriors. Next time, I will be inclined to try with 2 x 12 units. Then I think the priest will be more valuable.

They play quite different from the Steppe tribes, which is good.

I will persist with them. Just bought some more mounted Huns. Tempted with 1 unit of 12 mounted levy..
GrahamC

Postby ducat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Removed as I had not read the book description :mrgreen:

I should so know better than that by now.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby Goggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Oh, that is not how I read it. Although I am pleased to hear that. :evil: In that case my Goth unit could move to within charge distance of a Hun unit without using a sage dice, then I could active it to charge, which seems to be odd, or am i missing something?
Goggy

Postby ducat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Goggy wrote:, or am i missing something?

It seems it is me that was missing something lol.

That will teach me (again) to just read the battleboard, and not the full book description, and then post something.

I previously thought the Panic ability was good, having read the book description, it is even better.

It certainly does allow the Hun player to move the opponents units if selected (with certain restrictions in place).

Ignore me in the cheap seats here, and apologies Goggy for getting your hopes up incorrectly.

David has been whipping me (Saxons) with the Huns in our last couple of games, although he has not used Panic against me yet.

Very naughty list and board the Huns have, they certainly have Grahams play style written all over them.

I think the Goths will prove up to the task once you start to master some of their intricacies though.

Saxons I have found quite difficult to get running well for me at this time, I think I need to change my standard Army approach somewhat for these guys to get them running sweetly.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby Goggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Haha, Graham will be pleased.

To be honest, it works a treat. Can you imagine the joy that Graham would have moving my cavalry into uneven ground, or a unit of levy out of cover into the open. So no, it is too risky to allow him to do that, Also the fact that they cannot rest and if they are activated they take a fatigue is seriously painful. No, I will just have to take the 4 fatigues 2x2, and manage my units around that. It makes using Huns fun, even though it is me taking the punishment. I am happy about it, Gra will be even happier, the git. :lol:
Goggy

Postby ducat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Goggy wrote: Can you imagine the joy that Graham would have

This does not require a very fevered imagination at all, that is for certain. I had enough grief against his peasants the last time i played against him.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby GrahamC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 pm

:D

Pete and his pilgrims, I think is still my favourite.
GrahamC

Postby Goggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Thank goodness you can't have them with Huns then. :shock:
Goggy

Return to Battle Songs