Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Saga meets L5R

Where the designs of new factions (official and homebrewed) and the forthcoming supplements are discussed

Saga meets L5R

Postby ducat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

I always loved Legends of the 5 Rings, and this looks a great chance to translate it into a great skirmish system. I have a Clan War Crab Clan army that would be great for this, so I thought I would try to work on an alternative Samurai type setting involving the L5R fluff and clans. Hopefully a few others on here have a penchance for L5R too and can lend a hand.

So far I have come up with the following ideas -

Your unit choices are (with their saga equivilents)-

Clan Warlord = warlord
Clan Samurai = heathguard
Clan Warriors = warriors
Ashigaru = levy

Crab Clan - Use the Earth Battle Board
Heavy Armour - Your clan warlord, clan samurai receive +1 armour. (your clan warlord and clan samurai have armour 6).

Heavy Weapons - Your clan warlord and clan samurai may be armed with Tetsubos. These work exactly like dane axes.

Crane Clan - Use the Air Battle Board
Harriers - You may arm your clan warriors with Kami(bows). If they are armed with bows, their armour is reduced by 1 in melee (therefore they are armour 4 vs shooting, 3 vs melee).

Unicorn Clan - Use the Water Battle Board
Cavalry - Your clan warlord, clan samurai and clan warriors may be mounted. all usual mounted rules apply.

Dragon Clan - Use the Void Battle Board
Two weapon fighting - Your clan warlord and clan samurai are armed with two weapons. They may exchanged attack dice for defence dice on a 1 for 1 basis.

Lion Clan - Use the Fire Battle Board
Death seekers - One, and only one, unit of 4 Clan Samurai may be upgrade to Deathseekers. They recieve 4 attacks each, but their armour is reduced to 3.

Pheonix Clan - Masters of the Elements
At the start of the pheonix players turn, they pick any one of the 5 battle boards. They must use that battle board until their next turn whereupon they may choose again.

I thought to start with the basic six clans first and get some army builds up, as this would lend itself to board design more.

For the Boards, I figured one for each of the 5 rings - Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Void. Various armys would then be assigned a board type.

Dice could then potentially have various symbols for each of the 5 Boards as appropiate too.

Well thats what I have so far. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Re: Saga meets L5R

Postby ikon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 am

Great idea,

I Love L5R, i am not sold on the idea of "5 ring" battle boards i think you could better represent the clans by having clan specific boards then the abilities could be named after the techniques of the roleplaying game.

What era were you thinking? I am fond of the early pre clan coup time.

my thoughts for clans would be

Unicorn - mostly mounted abilities like normans

Dragon - could have ise zumi and lots of reroll type effects

Crab - remove fatigue and defence

Lion - give out fatigue and offence

Scorpion - no idea how to make them sneaky maybe they force opponents to reroll or steal dice

Crane - one ability could be iajitsu duel if the odds are exactly 1 on 1 the bonus attack dice

Phoenix - Archery heavy

instead of heros of the viking age, Heros of Rokugan:

I remember a Lion charicer that was cav so he could allow a unit to be mounted ( i think the crab had something similar)

Minor clan allies instead of flemish

I will have to pull out my old way of the clan books and have a read.
ikon

Postby Grognik » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:51 am

Looks like I'm reviving an old thread here. Did you ever make any progress on this?

I've been working on a Legend of the Five Rings version of SAGA set during the Clan War era. Each clan (Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Phoenix, Unicorn and Scorpion for the initial run with Naga, Nezumi, Shadowlands & Mantis [Minor Clans] coming later) will have it's own battle board, dice labels and faction lists. Just sorting through the various existing battle boards and faction abilities for ones that work for each clan aspect.

Have the base list pretty much done, getting the old Clan War unit types was actually easier than I expected, it is balancing the battle boards that are giving me the biggest headache :p The basic design of the battle boards and dice sets are done as are clan specific fatigue markers .. Here are a couple of design concepts so far, let me know what you think :)

Image Image
Grognik

Postby Yuusha » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

Nice dice Grognik :)

Balancing the battle boards while keeping them characterful is indeed the tough bit. Not sure I'd have buke though. For Sengoku Japan it kind of makes sense for ashigaru to be warriors, but for L5R I think ashigaru can be levy while most samurai are warriors and hearth guard would be elites, veterans or heavy cavalry/infantry. Perhaps even characters if it was the RPG~
Yuusha

Postby GelasticJake » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

I've been poking around this forum off and on for a little while now. I'm not sure if I saw this thread and was inspired by it and then forgot the thread existed, or if I've discovered this thread by happy accident and my current project is a coincidence. A month or two ago, a buddy of mine got our group into Saga. We've played a couple games and started an Age of the Wolf campaign, and somewhere along the line I got it into my head that Legend of the Five Rings and Saga are meant to be together. I've started the process of conversion.

First a disclaimer. I'm a newby at this. So far my Saga experience has consisted of 4 or 5 battles. A friend of mine has lent me the various books and I've perused them, but reading isn't playing. I've also only ever played one campaign of Legend of the Five Rings. It lasted for more than a year in real-time, and began in-game I think in 1168, so that's the only era of historical Rokugan that I have even a passing familiarity with. And all of what you're gonna read is rough-drafty, still in-process, and might end up getting changed.

So here's where I'm at: For my first run at this, since I'm new to Saga, I didn't want to invent new Saga abilities whole-cloth. What I decided I'd do is give each Great Clan it's own battle-board composed of Saga Abilities cherry-picked from the existing boards. My goal is to create a battleboard for each Clan that is balanced, effective, feels like how that Clan fights, and is unique. (i.e. No two boards sharing the same Saga Ability.) So for example right now, the Crane battle-board has 10 Abilities picked from the boards of the Anglo-Danes, the Scots, the Norse-Gaels, the Irish, and the Rus Princes. And no other board has the Abilities that are on the Crane board.

Will this work? I don't know, but I'm giving it a try, and enlisting a few of my friends to help out. I actually have one bit that's ready to playtest: The Yasuki War. Full battle-companies and boards ready to play for both Crane and Crab. A friend and I are going to give it a shot sometime soon. If folks are interested, I could share what I have so far?
GelasticJake

Postby ducat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Do let us know how it goes. It was something that never got any further for me, although one day I may revisit it and see what I can do.

I need to try and get some proper software on my pc so i can play around with this sort of thing again.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby StygianBeach » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am

Hallo!

I have been thinking about L5R Saga for a while, and my thoughts so far are....

1 point = 5 Hearthguard = 10 Warriors = 15 Levies.

Heathguard move M with Armour 4
Warriors move M with Armour 3
Levies move M with Armour 2

The lower Armour is to represent the lack of shields in the Rokugan armoury and the bigger unit size is an attempt ot balance this (maybe 6/12/18 would be better?).
Warlords are kept the same as Saga though.

The Factions: The Crab Clan.
The Crab are the Guardians of the Empire, they stand on the Wall and keep the Evil at bay. They are rude and Uncouth but honest. Crab are mighty on the battlefield and unbending in their duty.
Faction Rules.
Crab Clan Warlords, Hearthguard and Warriors may have Dane Axes.
1 unit of Crab Clan Hearthguard of 5 models exactly may be Beserkers (same as Vikings).
1 unit of Crab Clan Hearthguard may be armed with Bows.
Crab Clan levies are armed with Spears (1/2 Melee attacks).

The Factions: The Crane Clan.
The Crane are the masters of negotiation and they excel as duellists. They are rich and their political schemes act as an unseen hand shaping the Empire and the other clans.
Faction Rules.
Crane Clan Hearthguard may be armed with Bows.
1 unit of Crane Clan Hearthguard without Bows may be Mounted.
1 unit of Crane Clan Warriors may be armed with Bows.
Crane Clan levies are armed with Bows.
Some Crane Clan abilities may instigate a Challenge.

The Factions: The Lion Clan.
The Lion are the finest Warriors in the Empire, they are also the most numerous. They value loyalty and honour above all else and are easily offended if either are challenged.
Faction Rules.
1 unit of Lion Clan Hearthguard may be Mounted.
1 unit of Lion Clan Hearthguard have Dane Axes.
1 unit of Lion Clan Warriors may be Mounted.
1 unit of Lion Clan of Heathguard or Warriors may be armed with Javelins.
Lion Clan levies are armed with Spears (1/2 Melee attacks).
Some Lion Clan abilities require Wrath.

The next step will be adding in the Dragon Clan and trying out some Battleboards.

Any thoughts?
StygianBeach

Return to The Laboratory