Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A&A

Where official announcements are made to the crowd.

A&A

Postby duke1066 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:46 am

I saw this installment is scheduled for release in November of 2016. Can't wait!!!!!!
duke1066

Re: A&A

Postby GrahamC » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi,

I must admit, I am too looking forward to the latest release.

But slightly surprised, apart from here, there has been no trumpets or fanfares announcing it arrival, and even here, I do feel it has been very muted!.

Unlike Cross & Crescent. I remember the queues to get it at Salute, all those years ago!!
Nothing in any of the UK wargames magazines.. Nothing at all, Most odd!
GrahamC

Postby duke1066 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:05 pm

So, I was listening to a podcast that says the Late Romans get a ballista.

Anyone know of a maker for the mini?

Thanks,
Steve
duke1066

Postby Codsticker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Warlord Games does, but you might have to come up with new crew as these are Early Imperial Romans manning it.
Codsticker

Postby Pepys » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:17 pm

A&A rulebook says Romans can use a manuballista and my understanding is that this is a smaller, more portable version of the earlier artillery weapons. I wasn't able to find a model under that name but Gripping Beast do some late roman war weapons which should be suitable: http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Late_Roman_Warmachines--category--111.html
The rulebook says that the manuballista has a crew of 2.
Pepys

Postby Brian M » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Manubalista.
The clue is in the Latin wording.It is a hand held version of the bigger balistas and probably needed a crew of two to (a) help to draw back the string,and (b) carry the bolts.Think of it as a fairly big crossbow.
Brian.

PS.Anything larger would require a field artillery frame support and we are after all playing a "skirmish" game.
"In the lands of the North,where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea,in the dark night that is very long,the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell of a tale......"

The Saga's of Noggin the Nog.
Brian M

Postby duke1066 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks men. I *do* understand this won't be an 'artillery' piece per se, I wondered if they were going to make a specific model. The podcast says it shoots Lx2. Can't wait.

Steve
duke1066

Postby King Krum » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:28 am

The Manuballista is not the piece illustrated in the book strangely - neither did they have two crew. The rules say that the "piece" is lost when the two crew are killed - that would not be a Manuballista but one of the smaller ballista integral to Legiones. I have seen reconstructions of these in operation and they are light enough for two men to lift and position quite easily. I have modelled mine as a frame ballista with converted crew and the shield pattern of the legionary Hearthguard.

Aventine make a pack of Early Imperial manuballista but they appear to be wearing lorica segmentata.

Procopius has a nice section about ballistae and their effects. He specifically mentions their range as "two bow shots"
King Krum

Return to The Stronghold