Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Objectives: Scouting V Slaughter OK?

Where rules questions are dealt with

Objectives: Scouting V Slaughter OK?

Postby PeteD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 pm

My opponent has twice been given the Scouting objective while his opponent had slaughter.
Starting off table the civilians can't be defended (unless he is very lucky and buildings are close to an edge).

Its pretty easy for the player with slaughter to shoot a few of the civilians who tend to rout and so the game is over...

Do others see this as a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Pete D.
PeteD

Re: Objectives: Scouting V Slaughter OK?

Postby MikeH » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:05 pm

this one is a tricky one to play if you are the scout, we tend to use side plots which help balance it out a bit, but otherwise it's all about trying to get some friendly units close to the buildings ASAP to try and protect the civilians
MikeH

Postby PeteD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Yes we understand what the scouting player needs to do. My issue is that its happened twice and produced a very quick unwinable game - didn't seem much fun especially for the scouting player!

Have you actually achieved victory with the scouting side in that mix of objectives?

Regards
Pete D.
PeteD

Postby RichJ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:10 am

We have I'm, the way the two (40O point game) buildings are put out normally means you can get the civvIes in the closest and get there. Like mike says one is often relying on the subplots to get a win though.

On a side line, we have played that 'routing' and fleeing for the civvies is done initially towards the houses which feels right as they run to lock themselves away from the descending heathen.

Rich
Rich Jones
http://zephyrcorpdreadball.weebly.com/

Saga, Jugula and all sorts of WWII and sci-fi
RichJ

Postby Cadfael » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:32 am

I have played this a couple of times. Last time we played was at 400 pts without any side plots. I play Indian Nations and my mate plays British. I had slaughter and my mate had Scout. The pressure is on for the player who has the Scout mission but the game wasn't an instant win. My mates British force had a unit of Indians and a unit of Irregulars with two big units, one of Grenadiers and one of Regular infantry. Apart from coming pnto the table piecemeal, he still managed to deploy his regulars in a firing line that helped with village defence and sent his Irregulars across to scout on one side and his Grenadiers to scout the other side. The chief reason for my success was that I had three 4 man units armed with rifles in woods. These could provide a good firebase to keep his units pushed back/dead!

These rifles were the only thing that stopped him from scouting the final section of the board and it has to be said, we were still getting things wrong in the game that would have allowed him to take more shots at me than he did due to us not being fully up to speed on things like the spotting modifiers etc.

It was still a good game and I think with a bit more practice, it will become harder for me to win.

We have tried the Scout mission at small point games but this didn't work as well as you don't generally have enough to soak up damage and get your scouts back off the board.
Cadfael

Return to The Casern