Welcome
Welcome to studiotomahawk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Canturbury, Kent, Saturday 26th April 2014

Where Saga and Muskets & Tomahawks events are announced and challenges are issued.

Re: Canturbury, Kent, Saturday 26th April 2014

Postby ducat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 pm

DrunkenDwarf wrote:
ducat wrote:
6 points fixed list, no composition change ?

6 point list. No changes through the day. So your one list needs to be able to try to do it "all"

so example -
Alain Berbetorte, Hero of the Viking age - 1pt
Hearthguards - 2pt
Warriors - 3pt

Means this is all I get to use through the whole day, for each scenario

change of armement, mounted/foot (thinking Norman) ?

This is fine. So you can mount/dismount or pick up crossbows, change unit sizes on deployment, etc

So if I have 2 points of hearthguard in my viking warband I can choose before each battle if one of those points are spent berserkers or not.

DJ

That is correct DJ.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby ducat » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Son of Fire wrote:I'll bring my bunch of Baggage to help out with this one. There is enough for 2 games with 40x80 and 2 games with 40x40.

Ian Mackay

This would be very helpful. Thank you Ian.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby Bartacus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Just back and wanted to say a big thank you to John (Ducat) for organising a fantastic day, wish my 9 to 5 work-day would pass as quickly!!

Thanks also to all my opponents, great gaming spirit shown all round as well as a very high level of skill. I for one welcome our new Belgian overlords! :D

Finally congratulations to Dick for keeping up his 100% record for Canterbury tournaments, we'll see you again next year then.... ;)

Mike
Bartacus

Postby Calumma » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes thanks John (and all the other participants), great day. Young Kyle also had a very enjoyable time and has enjoyed telling just about anybody who will listen about scoring more points than his dad! It was very gracious of you to give up your place to let him play, so many thanks. As for me I'm just pleased that I managed to keep my warlord alive in at least one game :o
Calumma

Postby ducat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Many thanks to all the participants for a great day of Saga. We had 16 players on the day, who provided some fantastic games from where I was watching.

Many thanks also to Gripping Beast, who supplied us with some fantastic prizes to award some of the players.

Andy M won best painted painted army for his Vikings. This was an awfully hard choice to make, as there were many superbly painted warbands present. It was a very close call, but the extra little details that Andy had put into his force tipped it in his favour. Well done and hopefully I can get a decent picture off of my phone to show some of his work. Its not a bad one at all -

Some other pictures of the event can be found here -

http://johnsgreathall.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/event-pictures-26042014.html

Dick Jan won the most bloodthirsty general award, for his ability of not just killing a lot of the enemy he faced, but also his own entire warband in all three games he played. Truly did the fields run blood red when Dick Jan was present. I decided his fantastic approach to the game, along with his lethal performance deserved the trophy I had made for this.

Here are the final standings for the day, listed as - player, faction, final score, kills score (used for working out ranking on final scores, worked out as total enemy killed in vp minus total own army killed in vp)

1 - Kurt - Rus Princes = 9/53
2 - Alex - Byzantine = 7/16
3 - David M - Steppes = 6/24
4 - Cameron M - Viking = 6/6
5 - Ian Mackay - Jomsviking = 6/5
6 - Jan - Hereward the Wake = 5/24
7 - Paul C - Anglo Saxons = 5/6
8 - Mike A - Jomsvikings = 4/8
9 - David H - Normans = 4/6
10 - Steve G - Normans = 3/-5
11 - Andy M - Viking = 3/-13
12 - Joseph H - AngloDane(Cnut) = 3/-14
13 - Kyle - Welsh = 2/-23
14 - Ash - Viking = 2/-23
15 - Lee B - AngloDane(Cnut) = 1/-16
16 - Dick Jan - Viking = 0/-44

More stats -

Number of bands by faction

Viking x 4
Anglo danes x 3 (2 x Cnut, 1 x Hereward the Wake)
Norman x 2
Welsh x 1

Jomsviking x 2
Anglo Saxon x 1

Byzantine x 1
Rus Princes x 1

Steppes Peoples x 1

Scots were also present x 1(I was going to use them if I played to make up odd numbers)
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Postby pogo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:35 am

Many many thanks from the Red Barons of Ghent to John (ducat) and his co-organisers for a very nice saterday

Nice crowd, great atmosfere, 3 tense and enjoyable games, a nice bottle of red at dinner, a pub meal with lager at supper, what can men want more of a saterday trip in the country :)

Alex (the other one)

ps I tried several times to get on the forum yesterday, but all i got was a blank screen, others having the same problem ?
Alex (the other one)
pogo

Postby Bartacus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Yes I was having problems, had to go back to the board index screen before I could see anything, then I could go into the thread again. Bit of a wierd one!
Bartacus

Postby DrunkenDwarf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Returned home yesterday after a great weekend; sunday I spent cycling along the coast and enjoyed watching a small sailing regatta. Also rethinking the day before: there must be some kind of historical error in thinking that Vikings ruled british soil for over 3 centuries. I found no proof in the three battles I have played ;) I would like to thank my opponents Cameron, David M. and Joseph for some great gaming.

ducat wrote:Dick Jan won the most bloodthirsty general award, for his ability of not just killing a lot of the enemy he faced, but also his own entire warband in all three games he played. Truly did the fields run blood red when Dick Jan was present. I decided his fantastic approach to the game, along with his lethal performance deserved the trophy I had made for this.

John a great thank you for organizing the event and the great scenarios; I especially enjoyed the Holy Icon scenario and will play that one the next time I play Saga again. Also thank you for the most bloodthirsty award; now I can see in what round I have no vikings left on the table!

I will certainly try to attend a next Saga tournament in Canterbury! (time permitting).

Bartacus wrote:
Finally congratulations to Dick for keeping up his 100% record for Canterbury tournaments, we'll see you again next year then.... ;)

Mike

As I like traditions I will be back........ (not sure about the tradition of last place).

Hope to see you all another time.

DJ
DrunkenDwarf

Postby IVOR THE BONELESS » Fri May 02, 2014 7:45 am

John thanks for a really good day both myself and steve g enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to the next tournament.

I am putting the paints you presented to me to good use on the next saga project - me thinks normans !

And lastly to my worthy opponent Cameron once my warlord has finished pulling the arrows out I shall have my revenge!!!!!!

looking forward to the next tournament

Andy M
IVOR THE BONELESS

Postby ducat » Sun May 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments chaps. It was a great day because you all made it so.

I am looking to run the same type of event again next year, but in the mean time I am also looking to run a "Saga Day" late this year, which will be more of a turn up and play affair rather than a true organised event.

In effect, turn up with an army, find an opponent, and have a game. tables and terrain will be provided. if worst comes to worst, and only you turn up, you get to play against me all day :lol:

I will post more details as and when I have them.

Cheers, John.
ducat
Rules Mastermind

Previous

Return to Challenge to Battle